Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Ultra rare - Best named UFO newsletter? "Interplanetary Space Patrol" (1950s, USA) now online

So far, I've only found one UFO researcher in the world (Barry Greenwood in the USA) with a single copy of the "Interplanetary Space Patrol" newsletter published in the 1950s by James Lee.  This issue is from late 1957 and covers the Levelland, Texas UFO sightings of November 1957.  

While most of the major collectors of UFO material do not seem to have any further issues (or, indeed, this issue), I have found one reference in a book by George Eberhart that suggests that this newsletter may have continued until the summer of 1959 (see George M  Eberhart's "UFOs And The Extraterrestrial Contact Movement- A Bibliography -- Volume One- Unidentified Flying Objects" at page 685.

Barry Greenwood has kindly scanned his copy and I have uploaded it to the USA section of the archive, since it appears to be in the public domain under the copyright rules of the USA in relation to unregistered pre-1964 material.

Curt Collins has written a profile of James Lee:
https://thesaucersthattimeforgot.blogspot.com/2019/10/james-lee-of-interplanetary-space-patrol.html

Apart from its rarity (causing me to want to obtain and scan copies of any other issues now, before they are lost forever), I found this newsletter notable for its name. 

Personally, I think the name sounds pretty cool. :)

(If you think another UFO magazine/newsletter had a better name, let me know in the comments below and I'll see if I can get permission to upload it...).




No comments:

Post a Comment